there are many important dates in history but if we are really searching for a date that will live in infamy its has to be…..
1574 – Henry III becomes King of France.
1815 – The East Indiaman ship Arniston is wrecked during a storm at Waenhuiskrans, near Cape Agulhas, present-day South Africa, with the loss of 372 lives.
1876 – Ottoman sultan Abd-ul-Aziz is deposed and succeeded by his nephew Murat V.
1942 – World War II: 1000 British bombers launch a 90-minute attack on Cologne, Germany.
1959 – The Auckland Harbour Bridge, crossing the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland, New Zealand, is officially opened by Governor-General Lord Cobham.
1961 – Long time Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo is assassinated in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
1971 – Mariner program: Mariner 9 is launched to map 70% of the surface, and to study temporal changes in the atmosphere and surface, of Mars.
then not much happened for 40 years…..until….
2011 – NICE GUYS RELEASE ‘SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS’ ON BEARDOFBESS RCDS.
So unless your making a move up the ranks in a Royal Family, planning some kind of military coup, celebrating mothers day in Nicaragua or are Sarajevo native pop singer Zdravko Čolić who is busy celebrating his 60th birthday you have to get onto itunes and pick up NICE GUYS BRAND SPANKIN’ NEW EP ‘SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS’……..
things to look forward to:
Royal Brunei Armed Forces Day / Nice Guys Release Hangover Party probs at warrenview…. 31st May
SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS EAST COAST TOUR!!! (announcement shortly)
NEW LINE OF MERCH / EP PACKAGES (corresponding with release / tour)
Rivals Nice…. =)
Thank you Totally Unicorn for a shout out in their blog…
… and now on to my favourite band ever; Iron Maiden.
Here are ten reasons why Iron Maiden are the greatest heavy metal band of all time…
10. Classics. Loads of them! Aces High, Running Free, Run To The Hills, The Trooper, Be Quick or Be Dead, Fear Of The Dark, 2 Minutes to Midnight… shit, all of these are heavy metal fucking ANTHEMS!
9. Nicko McBrain’s face. That thing has been sanded flat to make way for more drums! Nicko disappeared behind his massive kit so many years ago Steve Harris has forgotten what he looks like.
8. Energy. They still fling themselves around stage like a bunch of kids, it’s amazing! While peers Slayer might look meaner and scarier, I’d fancy myself to atleast be able to beat those fat bastards in a foot race!*
7. Worldliness. Watch the excellent documentary Global Metal and you will see a universal love of Iron Maiden. Their shirts are everywhere in this film and the love from interviewees for Iron Maiden is palpable.
6. Artwork. Iron Maiden’s artwork is still as Iconic as it ever was, from their logos to their record covers, an Iron Maiden album stands out!
5. Laurels. They haven’t rested on them. On their most recent tour they drew heavily from their latest album The Final Frontier, and while it was the TFF tour a lot of their contemporaries would have still dialed in a greatest hits set. This is a band that still cares, and you know what? They KILLED it last tour!
4. Bruce Dickinson. I know he wasn’t the first singer but he is better than Paul Di’Anno and that other singer that dare not be named! His voice is as distinctive as Ozzy’s and stronger than Halford’s, the perfect voice for classic heavy metal and a signature of TNWOBHV.
3. Guitarmy. Janick Gers, Adrian Smith & Dave Murray create a prison-wall thick thump of gorgeous metal tones that fairly lift you from your seat (if you were unfathomably sitting down) at a Maiden show. Riffs for days my friends, riffs for days…
2. ED FORCE ONE. A jet plane. They have their own jet plane! Do I even need to elaborate on this point? Oh, plenty of performing artists have their own private jets I’m sure but Bruce Dickinson flies the damn thing. The cool points here are through the roof!
1. So you’ve got you’re own plane, all decked out with your logo and artwork. What else do you want? What was that? A MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT!? Who doesn’t want their own 12-foot cyborg version of Ed Hunter?
If you’re reading this chances are your band is not as good as Iron Maiden’s… get yourself a robot.
* Disclaimer: That was a joke and was not intended to cause any offense to any member of Slayer (especially Kerry King). Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry!!!!
The good news is our debut E.P. ‘Shoot Out The Lights’ has been mixed and is being mastered now! We’re just finalizing artwork and preparing to announce a release date… exciting times ahead in camp Nice Guys.
I’ve had a cooling off period after recording SOTL and now listening to the mixed version I can say, and I think I can speak for the other guys here, that we are extremely proud of what we have accomplished with this recording. We worked together well and encouraged and challenged each other to be at our best throughout the process.
I can’t wait for anyone who is interested in the e.p. to hear the thing, I feel like a boastful parent talking about their child’s achievements when I tell my friends about the recording. They’ll probably listen to it just to shut me up!
Earlier this week, we all got together to have a few beers and discuss release plans, merch ideas, touring buddies and general 2011 plans. The mood was enthusiastic and positive and I think we’ve got a full map for 2011 worked out.
Personally, this is shaping up to be the most exciting experience I’ve ever had in a band and I look forward to challenging myself to get better and better along with the band as we play more shows and write new material.
I sincerely hope the next post we can give you will have a release date and a show announced near you. In the meantime though, we are playing a Purple Day event at the Sandringham Hotel on the 26th March. This will be our only show before our e.p. launch so please come along and say hello. The show will be with our friends Lungs, Grim Fandango (WA) and Let Me Down, Jungleman and is for a good cause (raising awareness of epilepsy).
You can find the facebook event here – http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=131985743536166
And here for more information about Purple Day – http://www.epilepsyaustralia.net/Purple_Day/Purple_Day.aspx
So I saw the cover art today and all I have to say is……